Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Simple

Man, I remember when I thought the only thing that mattered in a library was the Dewey Decimal System.  I look up a book, find the numbers on the end of the shelves, look, and BOOM.  It's there.  Problem solved.  Life is good. 


Wow, was I ever wrong!  ISBD, pages, illustrations, reprints, different publishers, paperbacks, the 8 levels of ISBD.  Wait.....levels.  Wasn't there a story or something.....hmmmm.....written by....Dante?....was that his name?.... about several levels of hell that was later made into a slightly mediocre, but rather interesting film with Robin Williams?  Anyway, learning about the ISBD listing has been a bit taxing, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.  So far, I've practiced with one of my favorite writers, Bill Simmons, and his excellent tome The Book of Basketball.  I've been reading his columns for many, many years on ESPN.com, so I'm used to his style and perspective.  My beautiful wife bought it for me when it came out in 2009, and at 715 pages, it took me quite a while to get through it. But, I thoroughly devoured it.  I tried Jerry Spinelli's Smiles to Go, but I'm stuck on it and can't figure out where to go with it, since it's a Scholastic paperback print, and it's different than the first edition. 

Learning, learning, learning about this new frontier.  I hope I get the hang of it, so I can be a librarian one day and work at a library....especially one that the Old Spice guy talks about here.

1 comment:

  1. Look - Fudge and Peter! Yay! Also, love the Old Spice Guy. Great links you always have.

    ReplyDelete