Sunday, January 16, 2011

Tomes and Talismans



Sometimes, things of this world come together and make a small cosmic explosion felt all the way to Alderaan.  These cosmic explosions must include the following:  the “internets”, lots of free time by “internets” users utilizing “the Google”, and a nostalgic urge to find out things from our past.  One of these cosmic events occurred yesterday. 
I have started a Library Science graduate studies class called “Cataloging and Classification” at Middle Tennessee State University.  This class will be, according to the class syllabus, “simplified procedures for cataloging books and non-print materials, cataloging routines, and filing.”  Whenever I mention to my friends what class I am taking, they all raise an eyebrow and respond with a sarcastic word:  “riveting”.  But, to me, this is a major step toward my dream job.  My dream job is to be a middle school librarian, presumably at the high-poverty school where I currently teach 8th grade language arts.  My goal for the future, if there are actually any librarian jobs left (the future’s not looking so rosy), is to be the first male librarian in my county and to hopefully be a positive role model for young adults. 
            However, when I read the syllabus and saw acronyms such as MARC, FRBR, and AACR2, I had no idea what these meant and I immediately thought they sounded like Star Wars characters like R2D2. I am familiar with the ISBD because of previous Library Science classes, and I am also now familiar with RFID, since the Linebaugh Public Library system in the last year recently switched over to it.  The Dewey Decimal System?  My knowledge of it began in elementary school where I had a librarian who didn’t like to read (yes, you read that right). 
Now, you are wondering, “C’mon, Seadorf, when does this cosmic explosion come in?” Right here, actually.  That librarian would show us these completely terrible videos about some kids riding around in a mobile library van and aliens taking over the world in the future and how the Dewey Decimal system could stop the destruction of the world—or something like that.  That’s all I could remember.  Lo and behold, the powers of the Google.  Tomes and Talismans” was the name of the series that was produced by Mississippi Public Broadcasting.  

(Scroll ahead to 0:30.  It's 7:36, but you may only be able to stand about 2 minutes.  It's a train wreck)
We hated it then, but I can’t help but laugh at it now.  But, I think, I actually did learn the basics of Mr. Dewey’s system.  Therefore, my journey into “Cataloging and Classification” begins….and a whole lot of library raps to come.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Brian, i am spending way too much time watching these vids.....the Old spice one and now this sort of Dr. Who vibe. Remember these when you take libs 6960!

    I should throw R2D2 in as acronym sometime and make up a translation (like you did in the other post)

    ReplyDelete