Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Constant



My all-time favorite television shows in descending order:

Please don't watch past the first minute. You just need to witness the acting.  Truly terrible.  And why is that guy wearing a thin, multi-colored headband?  Looks like he should be in "Xanadu."

Yes, thank you 5th grader teacher for forcing us to watch this show.  What better way to show our patriotism than in this episode.  Truly, truly terrible show....but especially bad when you are in 5th grade.

 (542) Full House
This final curtain call should have happened after the first episode aired.


So many memories.  Tough episode with Kelly and Zack breaking up.  A momentous day on Monday after it first aired.  Everyone was talking about it.

(1) Lost.

I miss Lost.  It was a creative show that, despite some flaws and some mishaps that are bound to happen, I thoroughly enjoyed.  I loved the characters, especially Ben Linus and Desmond.  My favorite episode was "The Constant."

I thought of this episode while reading in Kaplan’s Catalog it!. In Area 7 about notes to add to a MARC, it said that “display constants” are codes “given to the computer so that it will automatically display a word or phrase when the record is retrieved from the OPAC….(and) it saves us lots of time typing.”  I’m not sure I understand constants, but anything that helps to make the library system just a little easier, I’m all for it.  Plus, this passage gives me the opportunity to link to my favorite show.  

Other thoughts for month 3 in LIBS 6120.  I feel comfortable with blocks now, and I’m starting to feel better about MARC.  All of those dollar signs and “a’s”, “b’s” and “x’s” really threw me off until I got a closer look and was able to really see that it’s just plugging the block information into the MARC.  It’s not nearly as confusing as I thought it was going to be, especially since a lot of the bewildering items are usually not utilized in school libraries.  But, it’s still good to know that I can come back to my Kaplan for answers in the future.

Also, Berenstain Bears?  Ber-en-STAIN?  For my entire literary life, I also said Ber-en-steen!  When I was filling out my MARC for the graded practice using Berenstain Bears Trick or Treat, I noticed the discrepancy.  In shock, I showed my wife and mother-in-law and they also had always said Ber-en-steen.  Maybe that is the correct way to say it.  I do know that Berenstain Bears No Girls Allowed was my favorite book of the series when I was a little guy.

1 comment:

  1. My brother's family says, "Oh that is sooo Full HOuse!" when they do something together, like going to the cider mill. Can you believe what those Olsen girls became????? My son's name is Zach and, I'm sorry, but i watched that show (it's still on at some morning hour). Hayley Mills was the teacher early on. I remembered her only from Pollyanna! Oh, Lost, where can you be? will you ever come back? Charlie...that was the sadest episode--the hobbit (Pip or Merry??) died. Detroit 1-8-7 is a great show, but will probably be cancelled. Are they all dead???? Okay, enough of that. glas that the cataloging is okay.

    ReplyDelete