Saturday, March 12, 2011

Dewey





No, wait....Not him.

Nope.  Not that one either.


Melvil and his Decimal System.

As you know from my previous posts, my first real period of time with this system was from Tomes and Talismans.  (Yes, there are many more episodes out there. Disturbing.)
While reading Chapter 5 about the Dewey Decimal system, it brought back memories of some of my favorite books when I was a developing reader.  I enjoyed presidential history, including a book that I ordered from a Scholastic book fair in 1st grade that had all of the presidents through Ronald Reagan, who was still in his 2nd term.    I  loved all of Matt Christopher’s sports books, including The Kid Who Only Hit Homers and Catcher with a Glass Arm.  I also enjoyed reading and re-reading Judy Blume’s The Pain and the Great One, as well as Judith Viorst's Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.  I only read the first Boxcar Children book by Gertrude Chandler Warner, but it was my first real chapter book that I could follow along.  I have no idea why I didn’t try to read the rest of the series.
As for the text in Kaplan about the DDC, it was a bit confusing at first.  I have been using the DDC for so long that I took it for granted.  I know how to look up a book in a database, find the number on the end of the aisles, and then find the book on the shelves.  I hadn’t really thought about where the numbers came from until I read Chapter 5.  I knew there must be some reasoning behind the numbers.  I just hadn’t had to think about it since I was in secondary school.  Now, I know what the numbers mean. 

No comments:

Post a Comment